Beverly A. Talluto, PharmD, MHSc
Beverly A. Talluto, PharmD, MHSc., who passed away in 2013, was the Director of Continuing Professional Education (CPE) and Professor at the Chicago State University College of Pharmacy. In this position she was responsible for planning, development, oversight, administration and assessment of the CPE program.
Dr. Talluto had been a Professional Experience Programs Special Interest Group (PEPSIG) Chair for the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) and spearheaded the creation of the "Ask the Experts Questions" and Mentor Program using web based technology. She received an Advanced Pharmacy Practice Initiative (APPI) grant from AACP to create an annotated library of resources on preceptor development and experiential program development.
Prior to this position, Dr. Talluto was Assistant Dean for Clinical Programs at Texas A&M Health Science Center Rangel College of Pharmacy. She was responsible to oversee and assess all experiential programs, institute direct patient care service learning as an integral part of IPPE, deliver educational training to all regional preceptors, institute and maintain the web-based rotation management system. She was instrumental in the development and delivery of a Capstone Course using Blackboard to deliver therapeutic cases to P4 students throughout their experiential rotations which allowed students to review therapeutic disease states that they might not encounter during their rotations.
As Associate Professor and Assistant Dean of Experiential Education at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Pharmacy, Richmond, Virginia. Her responsibilities included the creation and development of the Office of Experiential Education, and the development, management and assessment of early and advanced practice experiences. Presentations annually at AACP meetings focused on area of interests that included professionalism, programmatic assessment of completed competencies, drug related problem interventions, grade inflation patterns, preceptor grading, self evaluation grading and, comparison of preceptor and student evaluations for both mid and final evaluations.
As Assistant Director (Early Practice) and Associate Professor Pharmacy Practice at Creighton University School of Pharmacy and Health Professions Omaha, Nebraska, Where she directed the restructuring, teaching and site visit placements of the Early Practice Sequence (6 courses) for both campus and Web based programs. She was also instrumental in instituting a required Professional Meeting attendance requirement, a Professional Mentor program for the Web based students, Professionalism Surveys of faculty and students, mapping of professionalism in the curriculum, and assessment of professionalism on Early Practice site visits.
As Assistant Dean and Director of Experiential Education, Assistant Professor Pharmacy Practice Midwestern University Chicago College of Pharmacy Downers Grove (IL), Dr. Talluto oversaw the development of the Early Practice Experience program, preceptor development and training, electives in Careers, Long Term Care and Laws that Govern Long Term Care, and rotation electives in Management, Teaching, and Entrepreneurship, Advanced Community and Institutional clerkships, Longitudinal Ambulatory Care rotation for NTPD students. She conducted a 4-year longitudinal study of professionalism assessment in students and preceptors during all experiential experiences (Early thru Advanced). She also participated in a joint preceptor-training program with University of Illinois College of Pharmacy.
Dr. Talluto received her baccalaureate degree in 1963, a Masters of Health Science in 1989, and her Doctor of Pharmacy degree in 2004
Publications and Presentations
- Talluto BA, Precepting: A Symbiotic Relationship Overcoming Common Challenges in Experiential Education: Chicago State University , Chicago , Illinois November 4, 2011.
- Talluto BA, Mediation Therapy Management, Coastal Bend Education Council, Corpus Christi, Texas, September 24, 2011.
- Talluto BA, Texas A&M HSC Rangel College of Pharmacy Overview, Kiwanis Club, Corpus Christi, Texas April, 2011.
- Talluto BA, Advanced Precepting Toolkit, West Texas Pharmacy Association Meeting, Fredericksburg, Texas, April 2011.
- Talluto BA, Boyle CJ. Addressing Common Challenges Faced by Students in Experiential Sites, American Pharmacists Association Self Care Institute, April, 2011.
- Talluto BA, Pedagogy and the Pharmacy Resident, March 30, 2011, Christus Spohn Residency Program, Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Demps E, Lau K, Talluto BA, Application of Instructional Technologies in the Pharmacy Curriculum to Facilitate Active Learning in Distance Education, Texas A&M HSC Technology Institute, February 9, 2011.
- Talluto BA, Advanced Precepting Toolkit, Preceptor Training Program, Houston, Texas, October 9, 2010.
- Talluto BA, Frech G, Tamez M, Meeting the Needs of South Texas through Service Learning, AACP Poster Presentation, July 2011, San Antonio, Texas.
- Talluto BA, Chavez M, Bremick M, Bowman J, Mathews D, Bleidt D, Development of a Web-Based P4 Capstone Review Course, AACP Poster Presentation, July 2010, Seattle, Washington.
- Talluto BA, Astle J, Besinque K, Copeland D, Kahaleh A, Kieser M, See C, Tyczkowski P, Peer-Reviewed Process for Preceptor Development Resources: a Precursor to a Preceptor Certification Program. AACP Poster Presentation. July, 2009, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Talluto BA. Duke L, Jones R, See C, Stevenson L, Development of a Universal Competency Template for Evaluation and Assessment of Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences. AACP Poster Presentation, July, 2009, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Talluto BA and Jeffrey C. Delafuente, Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences (IPPEs) Integrating Knowledge and Practice Skills in Community Practice, AACP School Poster Presentation, July 19, 2009, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Boyle CJ, Talluto BA, Troung H, Chapter 21, Public Health Concepts, Applications, and Resources for Experiential Education. The Pharmacist in Public Health: Education, Applications and Opportunities by Hoai-An Truong, James L. Besette and Jill A. Sellers; American Pharmacist Association, 2010, Washington, D.C.
- Talluto BA, Author: Becoming a Leader in Pharmacy Organizations and Institutions, TSHP Section of Pharmacy Management, November, 2009.
- Talluto BA, Delafurente JC, Strategies for Sustaining an Experiential Program in Challenging Times, AACP School Poster Presentation, Boston, Massachusetts, July 19, 2009.
- Copeland D, DiVall M, Nemire R, Talluto BA, Intervention databases: A tool for documenting student learning and clinical value. AACP Presentation, Boston, Massachusetts, July 2009.
- Talluto BA, Moderator for Experiential Education Section: IPPE Developing, Implementing, and Surviving. AACP, Chicago, Illinois. July 21, 2008.
- Talluto BA, Round Table Discussion Leader: Challenges Facing the Organization and Administration of Experiential Education Programs. AACP, Chicago, Illinois, July 21, 2008.
- Talluto BA and Delafuente JC, Assessment of APPE Preceptor Grading Patterns by Course Type and Preceptor, AACP Poster Presentation, July 21, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Delafuente JC , Talluto BA, Drug-Related Problems Identified by Students during APPEs, AACP Poster Presentation, July 21, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Talluto BA, Skrabal MZ, Boyle CJ, Results of School Survey: What are Schools Doing to Meet the Requirements for Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences? AACP Poster Presentation, July 21, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Talluto BA, Wright BA, Ballentine RL,. Bentley ML, Cappuzzo KA, Gatewood S, Greene H, Mayer S, Safo MK. Garnett WR, Creation of a Survey Instrument to Collect Data on Library Resources for ACPE Self Study, AACP Poster Presentation, July 21, 2008, Chicago, Illinois.
- Talluto BA, Delafuente JC. Comparison Study of Student and Preceptor Assessments of Professionalism and Curricular Global Outcome Competencies in P4 Clerkships, AACP Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, July 13-18, 2007.
- Talluto Ba, Morgan LA, Whitaker AL, Cappuzzo KA, Yunker NS, Williams M,. Kirkwood CA, Sicat BL, Collins RL. Documentation of Drug Related Problems, Interventions, Disease State Encounters and Patient Populations in P4 Rotations,. AACP Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, July 13-18, 2007.
- Talluto, BA, Delafuente JC. Assessment of Curricular Outcome Goals in Advanced Pharmacy Practice Experiences (APPEs), AACP Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, July 13-18, 2007.
- Talluto BA, Nemire RE, Creating a PEPSIG Resource Library of Experiential Program Development Resources (AACP APPI Initiative Part II), AACP Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, July 13-18, 2007.
- Talluto BA, Astle J, Tyczkowski P, Copeland D, Kieser, M See C, Besinque K, Developing a National Preceptor Training Program, Kahaleh A, AACP Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida, July 13-18, 2007.
- Talluto BA, Besinque K, Cable GL, Kahaleh AA, Nemire RE, Smith GB, Shuford V, Henry J. Developing a Library of Resources for Preparing and Supporting Practitioner Educators. AACP Annual Meeting 2006, San Diego, California.
- Talluto BA, Berry T, Boyle C, Rider J, Spunt A, Unterwagner W, Smith GB. Creating a Mentor Program for Experiential Personnel through an "Ask the Expert" Resource and the "PEPSIG Mentor Experience" AACP Annual Meeting 2006, San Diego, California.
- Talluto BA, Hill LH, Ballentine RL, Dobbie BB. Revitalizing an Experiential Education Program. AACP Annual Meeting 2005, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Talluto BA, Hill LH, Collins RJ, Kirkwood CK, Sicat BL, Slatum PW, Whitaker AL, Williams MI, Yunker NS, Creation of Rotation Evaluation Forms to Assess Curricular Outcomes and Professionalism. AACP Annual Meeting 2005, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Hill LH, Delafuente JC, Kirkwood CK, Poynor WJ, Sicat BL, Smith WE, Talluto BA, Westkaemper RB, Integration of Curricular Mapping in Pharmacy with University-wide Assessment AACP Annual Meeting 2005, Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Talluto BA, Tilleman JA, Schwartz AH, Nevada College of Pharmacy, Comparison of Student and Faculty/Preceptor Professional Attitudes, Values and Beliefs: Is There a Disconnect? AACP Annual Meeting 2004, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Talluto BA, Tilleman JA, Mapping of Professional Attitudes, Values and Beliefs in Courses Offered, Time of Exposure and by Course Activities. AACP Annual Meeting 2004, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Talluto BA, Bruckner A. Creighton University-School of Pharmacy and Health Professions, An Analysis of a First Professional Year Early Practice Experience Exercise: Discussions with Preceptors in Hospital and Community: "What is Professionalism"? AACP Annual Meeting 2004, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Schwartz A, Skrabal M, Talluto B. Padron V, Alsharif N, Lenz T, Ability Based Outcome (ABO) Leveling Associated with Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) Case Development. SPAHP, AACP Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 2003.
- Schwartz A, Talluto B, Development of a Professional Survey. SPAHP, AACP Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 2003.
- Schwartz A, Talluto B, Discussion Boards, Self/Peer Evaluations and One Minute Papers: Evidence of Professional Socialization? SPAHP, AACP Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 2003.
- Jones R, Haddad AM, Monaghan MS, Talluto B, Preceptor Assessment of Student Preparation for Clerkships. SPAHP, AACP Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, Minnesota, July 2003.
- Talluto BA, Loiacono D, Lullo A, The Relationship Between Time Spent with the Preceptor, Student Satisfaction and Rotation Grade. AACP Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, July 2002.
- Talluto BA, Loiacono D, Lullo A, Use of Technology in Experiential Education to Facilitate Education and Communication, AACP Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, July 2002.
- Talluto BA, Loiacono D, Lullo A, Motivating Factors Survey of Student and Preceptor Work Satisfaction. AACP Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, July 2002.
- Talluto BA, Zavod R, Patton L, Cultivating Academic Pharmacy's Future Leadership, AACP Annual Meeting, Kansas City, Missouri, July 2002.
- Arastu MB, Chapman RL, Talluto BA. Developing an International Elective rotation in Traditional Medicine, AACP Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, July 10, 2001.
- Talluto BA, Loiacono D, Lullo, Parkinson D. Results of a Professionalism Behavior Scale in Experiential Rotations, AACP Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, July 10, 2001.
- Talluto BA, Patton L, Knoblauch L, Fox A, Burkiewicz Longitudinal Ambulatory Care Rotation, Chicago College of Pharmacy, Midwestern University, Clinical Liaison Committee * Special accommodation to Amy Lullo for her assistance in the workbook and poster preparation. AACP Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, July 10, 2001.
- Talluto BA, Esposito L, Juska I, Experiential and Didactic Combine in a PS 3 Long Term Care Elective, AACP Annual Meeting, Toronto, Canada, July 10, 2001.
- Talluto BA, Woodward J, Loiacono D, Cornell S, Lullo R, Brozowski M, Carmichael P, Kanafotska C, Introductory Practice Experiences (IPE), AACP Annual Meeting, San Diego, California July 12, 2000.
- Talluto BA, Loiacono D, Hogan M, Zgarrick D, Cornell S, Stensland S, Lullo R, Introductory Practice Experiences, 2000 AACP Innovations in Teaching Competition, AACP Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, July, 2000.
- Hammer DP, Litle T, Talluto B, Scott S, Use of Behavioral Professionalism Assessment for to Assess Students in the Classroom and on Experiential Rotations, AACP Annual Meeting, San Diego, California, July 12, 2000.
- Zgarrick DP, Talluto BA. Development of an Elective Community Pharmacy Management Experiential Rotation. Pharmacy Administration. AACP Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA; July 8-12, 1995.
- Hill L, Talluto BA, Visualizing the Clinical Thinking Process to Prepare Students for Effective Patient Counseling. Journal of Pharmacy Teaching, February 2006.
- Reynolds JR, Briceland LL, Carter JT, Easton MR, Rider JM, Staton AG,. Talluto BA, Ticeh BP, Flynn AA, Experiential Education Delivery: Ensuring Success through Support and Development of the Faculty and Administrative Team. Report of the 2004-2005 Professional Affairs Committee. American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 2005; 69: Article S9.
- Zgarrick DP, Talluto BA. Development of a community pharmacy management elective rotation. . American Journal of Pharmaceutical Education. 1997; 61:66-73.