Judith Skelton, M.Ed. Ph.D.
Judith Skelton, Ph.D., is an Associate Professor in the College of Dentistry, with joint responsibilities in the Office of Academic Affairs and Division of Public Health at the University of Kentucky. Dr. Skelton holds a masters degree in adult and technical education and a doctorate in curriculum and Instruction, with a specialty in dental education from the University of Florida. Since 1976, Dr. Skelton has worked in the area of dental education - implementing innovative teaching strategies and outcomes assessments in her own courses. In 1996 she assumed an administrative role in a new program at the University of Kentucky, and since that time she has provided leadership for the College of Dentistry in instructional design, curriculum management, outcomes assessment and educational research. In addition to her role as co-author of Module 2, Facilitating Learning in a Traditional Classroom Setting, Dr. Skelton has given numerous national presentations, especially in the area of instructional and curricular development. She has also served as educational consultant and/or provided workshops to the American Dental Education Association and the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors.
- American Dental Education Association Annual Session presentations - Active Learning, Course Review: A Tool for Curriculum and Faculty Development, Classroom Basics for the New Faculty, Assessment Essentials, and Classroom Leadership Development.
- Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors Annual Meeting - Web-enhanced Instruction for Site Visitors
- American Dental Association, Council on Dental Accreditation. Development of an on-line training program for accreditation site visitors, 1998-2005
- American Dental Association, Council on Dental Accreditation. Site Visitor for Accreditation, 1993-1998.
Grants and Contracts
- "Training in Primary Care Medicine and Dentistry Residency Training in General Dentistry", (PI Ted Raybould) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Co-Investigator, $895,937. 2004-2006. Expansion of a 1 year GPR residency to a 2 year program to include advanced training in pediatric dentistry; included curriculum development, implementation and assessment.
- "Public Health Education in Pediatric Dentistry" (PI: Jeff Johnson)
Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Co-Investigator, $541,667. October, 1, 2004-September 30, 2006. Curriculum development, implementation and assessment for dual degree program in Public Health and Advanced Pediatric Dentistry.
- "Physician's Oral Health Education in Kentucky" [add quotation marks] (PI: Gerald Ferretti) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) 10/01/01-09/30/04 $471,374. Co-Investigator.
- "Dental Accreditation Training Materials, Phase III: An Online Program", June 2001-December 2001, Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, Principle Investigator, Funded.
- Oral Health Center of Rural Appalachia (PI: Jeffrey L. Ebersole)This proposal is to create a center for research to reduce disparities in Oral Health.Project I: Reducing Oral Health Disparities in Rural Appalachian Kentucky Women through Health Education and Promotion., P50 DE14250-01, 08/01/01-07/31/08,: Funding Agency: NIH/NIDCR (not funded), Co-Investigator.
- "Multidisciplinary Standardized Patient Modules for Improved Teaching in Women's Health and Gender-Based Medicine Among Health Professions Students" Fall 2000-Fall 2003, Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education, US Department of Education, College Level Investigator, Funded $800,000. Co-Investigator.
- "Dental Accreditation Training Materials, Phase II: An Online Program", April 1999-June 2000, Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, Principle Investigator, Contract submitted.
- "Dental Accreditation Training Materials, Phase I", October 1998-June 1999, Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association, Principle Investigator, Funded.
- "Development of a Problem-based Learning Instructional Program", July1997-July, 1998. MC FACTS, University of Kentucky. Funded.
- "CD ROM Interactive Instructional Program Development", 1997, EE Media Incorporated, Co-Investigator. Funded.
Elam, C.L., Stratton, T.D., Musick, D.W., Sauer, M. J., Skelton, J. A Comparison of Participants and Non-Participants in a First-Year Community Based Service Elective. Annals of Behavioral Science and Medical Education, 2001.
Elam, C.L., Musick, D.W., Sauer, M. J., Skelton, J. Twelve Tips for Developing and Implementing a Service Learning Elective. Medical Teacher, 2001.
Osborne, Paul B. and Skelton, Judith Survey of Undergratuate Dental Esthetic Courses Taught in U.S. and Canadian Dental Schools. Journal of Dental Education, Submitted August, 2001.
Skelton, Judith; West, Karen P.; Zeff, Tina. Course Review: A Tool for Curriculum and Faculty Development. Journal of Dental Education, Submitted June, 2001.
Skelton, Judith; Mullins, Raynor; Kaplan, Alan L.; West, Karen P.; Smith. Timothy A. University of Kentucky Community-Based Field Experience: Program Description. Journal of Dental Education, November, 2001.
Sebastian, J.G., Skelton, J., West, K.P. Partnerships: Building and Sustaining Dynamic Relationships Through Inter-organizational Feedback. Partnership Perspectives Vol 1, Issue 2, Summer 2000.