Jerry Kellogg, M.A.
Jerry Kellogg, M.A., oversees the Office of Online Learning and Training for Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California. With 25 years of international experience in the development of distance education programs for health professionals, Mr. Kellogg was a logical choice for co-author of Module 4B, Distance Learning. Mr. Kellogg's background in instructional design, adult education and online learning also made him ideally suited for the role of senior instructional designer on the Education Scholar project.
Between 1982 and 1984, Mr. Kellogg was instrumental in developing the self-paced curriculum for baccalaureate and master's students enrolled in the California State University's Statewide Nursing Program. In 1985, he had the opportunity to share this experience with the Nursing Board of the Republic of Ireland, and between 1990 and 1993, trained health care personnel to set up their own distance education programs in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and South Africa. As president of his own educational consulting firm, Creative Edge, Mr. Kellogg has developed literally hundreds of decentralized courses using print, video, and computer-based technologies.
Noteworthy Presentations and Projects
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Curriculum - 39 self-paced workbooks and related instructor guides developed for the California State University Dominguez Hills' BSN curriculum, as well as distance learning syllabi for the Master of Science in Nursing. 1982-1985.
- Long-term Care Facility Survey - Interactive videodisc design for Health Care Finance Administration's surveyor training program. 1986-1987.
- CVA and Spinal Injury - Interactive videodisc designs for DAROX/Intelligent Images, Inc. Dxter Critical Care Series. 1987
- Cancer Pain Management - Compact Disc-Interactive demo for Vortex Interactive; funded through a grant from the Small Business Innovative Research (SBIR) Program. 1988.
- Clinical Case Management and Medical Cost Management Analyst Curriculum - Series of courses developed for in-house training of prospective CCMs and MCMAs in the UniHealth health care system. 1989-1991.
- International Health Manpower Project- A series of workshops and conferences designed to assist health professionals in the development of their own distance education programs. Sponsored by the W. K. Kellogg Foundation and conducted in South Africa, Brazil, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay. 1990-1993.
- Computers in Nursing - Correspondence course developed for Yonsei University College of Nursing, Seoul, Korea. 1993.
- Disaster Mental Health Survival Kit - Project funded by FEMA to assist Orange County mental health professionals in managing the psychological consequences of disaster. 1993.
- Pediatric Emergency Nursing Manual - Self-paced training guide developed through a grant from the National EMSC Resource Alliance in cooperation with the Emergency Nurses Association. 1990. Converted to interactive CD-ROM in 1994.
- Continuing Education Courses - Developed in collaboration with Donaldson & Associates. Titles included Optimizing Patient/Family Health Care Outcomes, Case Management Research, and Introduction to Managed Health Care. 1993-1995.
- ANA Nursing Quality Report Care OUTCOMES Project - Developed with Donaldson & Associates. A multilevel training package consisting of self-instructional courses, workshop manuals, and train-the-trainer materials used by the state nurse's associations implementing ANA outcomes initiatives. 1995.
- Family Nurse Practitioner Program - Web-based distance learning program for nurses seeking a Masters of Science in Nursing, offered by Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, California. 1996-1998.
- Corporate Compliance - Self-instructional booklet for UniHealth employees. 1997.
- Case Management: A Guide to Strategic Evaluation - Coauthored with G. Lamb and N. Donaldson, published through Mosby-Yearbook. 1998.
- Web-based Certification and Licensure Review Course - Web-based review course designed to assist geriatric pharmacists prepare for the national certification exam. Developed by Western University of Health Sciences for the American Society of Consulting Pharmacists. 1997-1998. Similar programs developed for Physician Assistants and Advanced Practice Nurses in 1998-1999.